BUILDING A CUSTOM ARCADE MACHINE

After selling over 200 gaming machines since Decemeber 2017, I have really gotten confident with the software involved in making these tiny arcades. I have decided I am confident enough to branch out and try my hand and producing full sized arcade machines. You can follow my progress here. I will keep posting pictures until the first machine is complete.

For my first full size arcade I decided to try me hand at a bartop style machine. I chose this style for two reasons. Size of space I have is limited and my work area is cluttered enough as it is, and cost of materials. Originally I wanted to cut the wood and do all of the build from beginning to end by hand but time forbid me from diving in too deeply. I instead opted to buy from http://www.monsterarcades.com/ and I later regretted it.

 

 In the photo above you can see the kit after I had set the buttons into it. They aren't mounted really. I just put them there for effect.

In the photo above you can see the kit after I had set the buttons into it. They aren't mounted really. I just put them there for effect.

The kit arrived quickly (about 6 days) and everything I had ordered was included except for the PSD templates which I needed for making the vinyl wrap art.

One of the main reasons I chose to buy from this company was their offer of including all the templates with each machine. After 3 weeks of calling and emailing with no response, I had finally decided that I would make them myself but just before I did someone responded on the Monster Arcades Facebook page and offered an apology and the files I had sorely missed!

If anyone out there is going through the same frustrating process and finds this page, here are the files you are looking for.

MARQUEE

LEFT SIDE

RIGHT SIDE

TOP CONTROL PANEL

BEZEL

BOTTOM CPO

I decided to start over on this project and build a whole new SD Card image from scratch but I started with the most recent build of MotionBlue which I downloaded from ARCADE PUNKS. The base install sucks up about 16gb because of all the art involved but it runs very nicely and is a great adaptation from the usual RetroPie or Recalbox builds I have made.

Bellow is an example of what my stock MotionBlue frontend looks like.

I did some digging and finally found the location of the system art files that I want to alter!

ATTRACT MODE > LAYOUTS > MOTIONBLUE_4X3

Next I plan to replace them with my own custom video backgrounds and to redesign the frames used in the menu layout. When I am done it will look a lot more professional.